Herniated disc surgery refers to several surgical techniques that treat spinal conditions related to the intervertebral discs, i.e., the discs located between the vertebrae. When the spinal disc is damaged, ruptured, or herniated, it may pinch the surrounding nerve roots and cause chronic pain in different parts of the body. If all non-surgical pain relief options fail, herniated disc surgery might be your only solution. Brand Surgical Institute performs highly personalized herniated disc surgeries using cutting-edge technologies and techniques.
How can herniated disc surgery help you?
How does herniated disc surgery alleviate pain?
To understand how herniated disc surgery alleviates pain, you must understand disc herniation. Between each spinal vertebrae is a disc that acts as a shock absorber, allowing your spine to move flexibly without friction. Disc herniation is a medical condition wherein one or more of these spinal discs ruptures, leading to the outward protrusion of the soft nucleus inside the spinal disc. When the spinal disc pushes against the surrounding nerve roots, you experience chronic pain symptoms.
Disc herniation doesn’t always cause pain — only if the bulging components push against the surrounding nerve roots. You may experience numbness, tingling sensations, and painful symptoms in different parts of the body, such as the arms, neck, legs, or buttocks, depending on the location of the damaged spinal disc. Lumbar (lower back) disc herniation leads to chronic pain symptoms in the lower back, buttocks, and legs, and cervical (neck) disc herniation leads to chronic pain symptoms in the neck, arms, and hands.
Herniated disc surgery alleviates chronic pain caused by disc herniation. Depending on your unique condition, the surgeon may use numerous techniques to remove the damaged disc, remove the damaged components of the spinal disc, replace the spinal disc with an artificial disc, or fuse the adjacent vertebrae together. The specific surgical techniques used will depend on your unique condition and symptoms.
You are the ideal candidate for herniated disc surgery if:
- You have chronic pain caused by damaged spinal discs
- You are diagnosed with disc herniation or degenerative disc disease
- You have severe pain in your arms and neck or your lower back and legs
- You have tried all non-surgical pain relief options, such as epidural injections and nerve blocks
- You have not experienced significant or sustainable pain relief from other treatments
- You don’t have medical conditions that preclude surgery
What happens during herniated disc surgery?
Brand Surgical Institute performs a highly-personalized herniated disc surgery using cutting-edge technologies and surgical techniques. The surgeon will order numerous imaging tests, such as X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans, and nerve conduction studies, to diagnose the root cause of pain. We only administer spine surgery if all non-surgical and conservative pain relief solutions have failed to provide sustainable results. After a thorough evaluation, your surgeon will curate a personalized disc herniated surgery plan.
We perform all spine surgeries under general anesthesia at our accredited surgical facility in Glendale. Depending on your unique condition and symptoms, your surgeon may perform one of the following surgical techniques — laminotomy, laminectomy, discectomy, microdiscectomy, disc replacement, or spinal fusion.
- Laminotomy: The surgeon makes an opening in the vertebral arch or lamina to reduce pressure from the surrounding nerve roots.
- Laminectomy: The surgeon removes the lamina completely to reduce nerve compression.
- Discectomy: The surgeon removes the part of the damaged disc responsible for nerve compression or, in some cases, removes the entire spinal disc.
- Microdiscectomy: The surgeon removes a part of the spinal disc or the complete disc via an extremely small incision using specialized instruments.
- Tubular Microdiscectomy: The surgeon uses a robotic microscope to remove the damaged herniated disc through a 16-18mm incision.
- Endoscopic Microdiscectomy: The surgeon inserts a specialized camera (endoscope) into the spinal canal through an extremely small incision and uses specialized instruments to remove the damaged parts of the spinal disc.
- Artificial Disc Replacement: The surgeon removes the damaged disc and replaces it with an artificial disc made of plastic and metal.
- Spinal Fusion: The surgeon permanently fuses two or more vertebrae using bone grafts, metal or plastic screws, rods, and implants, thus immobilizing that part of the spine.
What is recovery like after herniated disc surgery?
Brand Surgical Institute is led by surgical experts who use minimally invasive and endoscopic-guided surgical techniques for herniated disc surgery. Unlike traditional spine surgeries, minimally invasive procedures are performed through extremely small incisions, so the recovery period is minimal. Most patients can resume most of their daily activities within a week. However, the specific details of your recovery will depend on your unique condition — the surgeon will provide comprehensive recovery guidelines.
Schedule a consultation for herniated disc surgery in Glendale, CA
Brand Surgical Institute is the first woman-owned multi-specialty ambulatory surgery center specializing in cutting-edge spinal surgeries in Glendale. Our spine surgeons use cutting-edge techniques to diagnose and identify the root cause of your chronic pain conditions, following which they curate a personalized treatment plan. We only recommend herniated disc surgery (or any surgery) if all non-surgical options fail to yield the desired results. Please schedule an appointment to explore your herniated disc surgery options in Glendale.