Sleeve gastrectomy, also known as gastric sleeve surgery or vertical sleeve gastrectomy, is one of the most popular bariatric surgeries. This procedure essentially makes you feel fuller and more satisfied with less food, eliminating the desire to eat more, which, in turn, leads to sustainable weight loss. Brand Surgical Institute is led by experts who use the latest and safest surgical techniques for your sleeve gastrectomy, ensuring safe, consistent, and reliable results without unwanted complications.
How can Sleeve gastrectomy help you?
How does sleeve gastrectomy work?
Sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical procedure that reduces the size of your stomach. The surgeon makes small incisions in the upper abdomen and removes most of the left part of the stomach, turning the stomach into a narrow tube called a sleeve. This procedure doesn’t change your digestive system — your intestines and stomach continue working like normal. But your stomach feels completely full and satisfied after eating much less, so you don’t feel compelled to eat more.
Besides reducing the size of the stomach, this procedure also regulates the production of the hunger hormone. The stomach produces a hormone called ghrelin — the hunger hormone — that makes you feel hungry and eat more food. This procedure removes the part of the stomach that produces the ghrelin hormone so you don’t suffer from hunger pangs. In addition to lowering the volume of food you need, this procedure also addresses the psychological motivations for eating food.
Benefits of sleeve gastrectomy:
- Fairly simple surgical procedure to reduce the stomach size
- Lower risk of complications than gastric bypass
- Faster recovery than gastric bypass
- Reduces stomach size by 70% to 80%
- Reduces the risk of complications caused by vitamin deficiencies
- Reduces the production of the hunger hormones
- Feel full and satisfied after eating significantly less food
- Doesn’t involve foreign implants that can cause complications
- No risk of dumping syndrome, so you can eat your favorite foods
Drawbacks of sleeve gastrectomy:
- Higher risk of complications than gastric banding
- Irreversible procedure — your stomach will be permanently reduced
You are the ideal candidate for sleeve gastrectomy if:
- You have a BMI of or more than 40, i.e., you’re more than 100 pounds overweight.
- You have a BMI of or more than 35 and one or more obesity-related co-morbidities, such as respiratory disorders, sleep apnea, heart disease, hypertension, type II diabetes, etc.
- You have not been able to sustain weight loss through natural weight loss efforts.
- You want a rapid and permanent solution to weight loss.
Schedule a consultation for your sleeve gastrectomy in Glendale, CA
Brand Surgical Institute is the first woman-owned ambulatory surgical center specializing in bariatric surgeries in Glendale. Our surgical experts leverage their skills and years of experience to curate personalized sleeve gastrectomy procedures, ensuring safe and consistent results. We guide you through every aspect of the surgical journey, from the initial consultation to the final results. We also educate you and inculcate positive dietary habits. Please schedule an appointment to explore your sleeve gastrectomy options in Glendale.